top inlays

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Re: top inlays

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

J

I'm a little late on the uptake on this one - In 2016 I made a uke in honor of Martin's 100th anniversary of doing it. (they made a few before that, but their first production was 1916) I used the Ditson "dreadnaught" shape that Martin did then and chose a style 3. The only difference I did was the whole thing is Osage Orange - the instrument is NOT subtle, I did my "parend", the thing at the south end of the top, out of ivoroid, along with the "kite" on the headstock and the binding. I think all those details would look great on a guitar.

Look at the last picture to see what happens to Osage Orange

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 606115293/

Ed
Ed M
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Purfling has been my biggest frustration, particularly where two ends meet up. I know they sell longer strips that go all the way around but I opted to save a little money and go with the shorter segments. On my first build learning to rout the binding channels forced me to get creative by adding more purfling and use dust and super glue where I could but that joint still stuck out like a sore thumb. In the end I decided that if I had to do a heel cap on the neck (which I still haven’t done BTW) then I could make something to match at both ends of the body.

I ended up tracing a guitar pick on a piece of rosewood scrap (to match the binding) and did the work to make it look like it belonged there. I’m probably going to do it again on my second.

~ Neil
ruby@magpage.com

Looks just fine Neil

Ed
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

those are cool and I've heard of the guitar pick idea and like that a lot. Thanks, Ed for that Uke too as that is just what I intend to do but it's a bit on the back burner. It will rise again.
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

That's a good luck, nice save!
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:
Look at the last picture to see what happens to Osage Orange

Ed
I really like the way that Osage Orange aged! How long did it take to get there?

I have an OO dread-size set here for when I get around to it.....
ruby@magpage.com

Took about 3-4 months to start noticeably changing, and it took and it took about 1-1/2 years to get all the way. Here is a 3/4 size guitar of my own design, again about 1-1/2 to 2 years

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 029319394/

Click right to the last picture

Ed
Ed M
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Really nice, Ed.

I like how the OO mellows over time.
The yellow when it’s fresh cut is sort of obnoxious to me.