Help needed with rosette - how can I recover?

What're You Doing?
Sean Terblig

Help needed with rosette - how can I recover?

Post by Sean Terblig »

Looking for some advice on this rosette. I'm installing purfling around this rosette and didn't get the inner channel quite right. The purfling fits perfectly, but I did not get a 100% clean inner wall and you can see a bit of a "ledge" on the inside. I could try widening it further to see if I can get the channel width expand just perfectly enough to fit one more purfling, but worried that I may overshoot and make it worse. Any advice on what to do from here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Re: Help needed with rosette - how can I recover?

Post by phavriluk »

What's glued in?
peter havriluk
Sean Terblig

Post by Sean Terblig »

Nothing yet. I just inserted to test the fit and also get the purfling to bend a bit. The BWB is pretty stiff.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you have a design enhancement opportunity.
add another purfling srtip
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

inspirational rosette! I have been thinking of doing something more than purfling strips in circles and look at this piece of art! Every piece is tiny and can be easily made from the scrap box stuff full of bits like this from past projects. It's fun to dig through it and find interesting grain or pieces with a story such as, "those rosewood bits are from this other guitar", etc. Nice design, feel complimented when I copy this. :D
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

purfling is available in a whole bunch of thicknesses. And I've installed two thinner pieces concentric with each other to enhance bending. And John Hall's advice seems to me to be the most straightforward fix, seeing as there's this nice routed area already done nice and safe.
Last edited by phavriluk on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter havriluk
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

You seldom see a rosette that does not have the same purfling on the inside and outside of the decoration. Routing out the channel a bit more and adding that help should fix things. You should be able to compress the rosette by hand now to get a tight inner fit. If you can't do that, then there is an issue with the roundness of the inner cut, or the rosette itself. If your purfling is too stiff, you might try scraping it thinner with a razor blade. Since you're adding more purfling, you have room to do that. Good luck!-Bob