Bridge placement - confusion ;)

What're You Doing?
MaineGeezer

Re: Bridge placement - confusion ;)

Post by MaineGeezer »

....but no matter what the calculations come out to, the final authority is how it sounds.
Are you using an electronic tuner? I find one to be very helpful. It doesn't need to be fancy, something like a Snark for twelve bucks or whatever they are will do fine. to compare the 12th fret harmonic with the fretted note.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I second the opinion on the Snark. I own several and keep 3 in the shop.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I also use a Snark and have included them in instruments I sent to my grandkids. Recently I got a Peterson StroboClip HD. Its quite a bit more $ than a Snark ($45 w/coupon) but I find it easier to use and it has "sweetened" tunings for several types of instruments.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Weighing in on Snark tuners here: I used one for a long time and liked it, but I was still having issues with tuning. (Also having issues with hearing, and wondering if that was part of the problem . . . ) I spoke to my local guitar store, and was told they don't recommend Snark because as the batteries get older, the tuner's accuracy wanders. They recommended the Aroma AT-102. It has rechargeable batteries, and a charging cord supplied. But in addition to the clock-like dial to tell you when you are in tune, it also shows finer measurements as numbers (they call them "cent numbers") + or - where you should be. It has definitely been a great improvement over the Snark, but to be fair I have not tried anything else similar; there may be other similar or better options. Works for chromatic, guitar, uke, bass, violin. Bruce W.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the Snark either -- I just used it as an inexpensive example of an electronic tuner.

Lately I've been using a tuner I got from Sweetwater called the Unitune clip. It's about 2X the cost of a Snark, but I think it works well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I just went through this little adventure with the help of a Stew-Mac 'Saddlematic'. I'd been taking my projects to a luthier to get the bridges in a good place, and that's not possible for a while, but he gave me a Saddlematic on my last visit, and I dragged it out and used it on my last project. Worked as advertised. And I used it on existing guitars to test it for reasonability. Seemed to make sense. It is one of those adjustable tools whose adjustability injects uncertainty, but it can be made to work. I think.
peter havriluk
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

About tuners...Had a few Snarks. Miserable to keep in a gig bag. Bought a Unitune, much happier, costs more, worth it for me,
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use the short and long scale Martin templates that Blues Creek used to offer; I'm not sure if John still offers those templates, but if he does, they'll put you spot on for Martin scales.

I also have the saddlematic from stewmac. It's a fast way of doubling the distance from the nut to 12, then marking the nut slot with the provided pins. I use this for all other scales.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:About tuners...Had a few Snarks. Miserable to keep in a gig bag. Bought a Unitune, much happier, costs more, worth it for me,
True. After a period of time, they can become weak in the articulating joint. I use them in my shop, where they stay clipped on a wall board, although I'm sure I have one rattling around an accessory compartment, I'm sure. Lol.

I like the black, tight snark, because it snaps right to tune while doing setups.

I simply like my Peterson clip on strobe for the sweetner modes.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Maine

If you use the tuner to locate the saddle, can you go over your steps to locate the not-yet glued on bridge? Or do you glue on the bridge then cut the saddle slot later?

Thanks

Ed
Ed M