Shooting board and a problem back set

What're You Doing?
MaineGeezer

Re: Shooting board and a problem back set

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've got a 4' level that I stick a strip of sandpaper (self-stick) onto, then I sand the edges by sliding the boards along it -- in one direction only, don't go back and forth and be deliberate about applying pressure evenly. It works pretty well, but sometimes after checking the contact I find I have to lean a bit on an end or somethng to get full contact. Getting full contact over 20" or whatever is hard to do!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If your jointer table is long enough (24" or so) you can use it instead of a granite reference surface

Ed
Ed M
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Great suggestion Ed - also provides a built-in fence. I confess I'd like to be able to do this with a plane, but its good to have plan B ready to go - thanks
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Back and forth will produce the problems you mentioned
Guilty as charged.
If your jointer table is long enough (24" or so) you can use it instead of a granite reference surface
My router table seemed to help solve the trouble.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I used to use my table saw I found 120 grit good for this
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

My jointer beds aren't quite long enough but the fence is....
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Quick update - setup #2 didn't correct my issue, however, using the "tape" method on attempt #3 did. I had two issues: 1) my backs are hand thicknessed so they're not totally uniform thickness at the mating surface, and 2) it took me a while to get them thicknessed and over time they both developed a good twist. The Tape Method is very simple, almost seems too simple, but it worked very well with the advantage of allowing me to feel along the length of the joint to be sure things were even, before weighting them down on a flat board.

I didn't use the jointer fence as a sanding surface but I did use it to show me if I had a flat edge or not. Very helpful to have a good reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.