Gibson Advanced Jumbo Plans?

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Gibson Advanced Jumbo Plans?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

"IIRC the Gibson braces were triangular because it was faster to cut them on a tablesaw.
Don't sand them and slop HHG all over the place and don't clean the squeeze-out, if you want to be 'authentic' LOL"

I bought a 1933 Gibson L-00 at auction for $41 because the back and a side were smashed and the top had 6 cracks. I put it back together, and despite having braces sawn on a table saw, unsanded with the circular marks still there, and gobs of HHG squeezed out, it is about the best sounding guitar I have had the privilege to play in my 55 years of playing. Loud, clear, rich, with plenty of bass for a small guitar. And very easy to play.

It is not alone in this - the L-00 from that era is one of the most desirable guitars out there.

It has changed my outlook on what is important in lutherie.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Morecowbell

Re: Gibson Advanced Jumbo Plans?

Post by Morecowbell »

Ed, more pics and info on the rebuild, please! What did you save, what did you replace, how in the world can it sound so good after all that?!? You must have done a great job. John had a similar comment regarding a destroyed Martin he put back together. I'm fascinated that a guitar that has been so mangled can be brought back to such a good sounding instrument, very cool.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut