Routing Depth for a Rosette

What're You Doing?
Rag Thumb

Routing Depth for a Rosette

Post by Rag Thumb »

I am prepping to install a D45 rosette set I got from John along with abalone I got from Dave.

The fiber purfling in the set is at .080 high while the abalone is .054. I am thinking I should cut all of my channels at .050 which would mean I will be scraping off quite a bit of fiber purfling after everything is glued up.

Am I on the right track?
------------

Rex
MaineGeezer

Re: Routing Depth for a Rosette

Post by MaineGeezer »

That is what I would do. I don't know how thick your top is, but if it's a fairly typical 0.010" thick, I'd feel a lot better leaving 0.050" of top under the purfling rather than only 0.020", which you would have if you routed full depth for the fiber. And there is no reason to go deeper, anyway.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

It depends on the top thinkness
I like to be about .010 to .020 below the top so I can send the top to the pearl.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

At this point the top is .130, so it sounds like I should make my channels .065-.070 deep to have room to sand down to the pearl and then be able to sand the back to get to final thickness.

Thanks for the help!
------------

Rex
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I also set my pearl a bit lower than the surface, so that there is minimal sanding of the pearl. My tops at this point are .110"-.115" thick, giving me enough for sanding, so that my final thickness is ~ .100" thick. The purfling that I use is ~ .060" (1.53 mm) thick, which is just slightly thicker than a lot of the inlay that I use.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com