Paper As Shim

What're You Doing?
Meng1988

Paper As Shim

Post by Meng1988 »

I have everything all set to glue my dovetail but it is just a hair loose. I put one piece of thin masking tape on both cheeks and it fit perfect.

With it being such a small amount I had the idea of just using a piece of paper as a shim. Is this ok to do? Or will it weaken the joint?
MaineGeezer

Re: Paper As Shim

Post by MaineGeezer »

Should be fine. I wouldn't use masking tape (and from your description I don't think that is what you have in mind), but I think a piece of paper the glue can soak into should work well.

If a dovetail is a proper fit, you hardly need glue at all, anyway. It doesn't have to do much except keep the joint from sliding apart.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Meng1988

Post by Meng1988 »

Definitely not intending on using masking tape as the final solution. Was just using it to see how far off I was.

Seeing how close I was, I was about to start sharpening my hand plane to get some good paper-thin shavings. But then I wondered if I could just use paper instead.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've found that wood shavings from planing work great. A plus is that they're already curled if you want to wrap them around the tenon.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com