Erlewine bridge position jig

What're You Doing?
ChuckBarnett

Erlewine bridge position jig

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Have you used the Dan Erlewine idea of makeshifting a sort of tailpiece to stretch the strings over the saddle to mark bridge position?
carld05

Re: Erlewine bridge position jig

Post by carld05 »

Chuck, I think you mean "over the bridge to mark saddle position." But, no I haven't......
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

carld05 wrote:Chuck, I think you mean "over the bridge to mark saddle position." But, no I haven't......
In watching the video the saddle iappears to be nstalled

And I have built a bridge, cut the saddle slot and installed the saddle. Now I have to find out how tall that should be as well as find its position. Seems like a couple competing difficulties.
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

carld05

Post by carld05 »

That's the type of jig I thought you meant but I've seen it used to locate where a new saddle slot should be routed on an installed bridge without a slot or with a slot that had been filled because of bad intonation or lefthand/righthand flipping of the guitar. Check out the "setting a bridge" topic below this.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

not a fan of the stew mac stuff
I know too many that ended up with it in the wrong place
trust a good measuring stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJG5Frbu78c
no jig needed just some tape and a pencil
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think that some of the StewMac tools are solutions in search of a problem. I think their primary function is to be a separator -- to separate you from your money.

I think they generally work, but I don't think one needs them to get good results.

(Your mileage may vary.....)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That jig is one that Erlewine made for his own use. It's not for sale at Stewmac. It's a simple thing to make. I think it's an interesting approach as a way to double check a bridge placement and intonation. I've always relied on measurements.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
robinsonb5

Post by robinsonb5 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:That jig is one that Erlewine made for his own use. It's not for sale at Stewmac. It's a simple thing to make. I think it's an interesting approach as a way to double check a bridge placement and intonation. I've always relied on measurements.
I did something similar with a couple of beginners' kit guitars (the ones with ready-made bodies, ready-made necks and no instructions!) I wanted to devote each of them to unusual tunings with really thick bass strings, so wanted to be sure the bridge was as well-placed as possible for the strings I wanted to use.

I bent a piece of wire coat hanger so that I could hang it on the strap button and attach the outer two strings. Not pretty, and needed a little padding where it went around the corner, but it worked nicely!