Classical Guitar Top Questions

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Classical Guitar Top Questions

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a couple of questions about classical guitar tops.

1. I've noticed several plans where there are no bridge plates. Are they not necessary? Would think that a plan with 7 fan braces would give sufficient support for a typical tie-on bridge, but is it better to have a thin bridge plate, or does it really matter?

2. Is there a reason why most classical bridges are made of rosewood instead of ebony? Is there a tonal reason for this?

Thanks
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Re: Classical Guitar Top Questions

Post by johnnparchem »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I have a couple of questions about classical guitar tops.

1. I've noticed several plans where there are no bridge plates. Are they not necessary? Would think that a plan with 7 fan braces would give sufficient support for a typical tie-on bridge, but is it better to have a thin bridge plate, or does it really matter?

2. Is there a reason why most classical bridges are made of rosewood instead of ebony? Is there a tonal reason for this?

Thanks
1. The arguments go both ways for a bridge plate or not. Most respected Classical guitar builders do put in a bridge plate, usually spruce as there is no need for a hardwood plate. I use a thin bridge plate.

2. There is not as much energy in nylon strings so the mass of the top is very important to the performance of a classical guitar. On a classical guitar it is easy to get bass but the trebles are often weak. Ebony is a lot denser than RW and the difference in mass makes a difference. It will lower the resonance of the top and attenuate the trebles.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you John. I need to replace a top, so I'll use a spruce plate and IRW bridge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Until John mentioned plates in his post above, I didn't even know they weren't exclusive to steel string guitars. I would argue that a bridge plate is useless on a spruce top and possibly useful on cedar. The early makers (Torres et al.) didn't use plates. They also used gut strings. I guess with the advent of 26+" mensur, high-tension strings, maybe there is a place for plates. I've thought about doing a Bouchet-like lateral brace, but probably will never experiment with that either.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Well, I this is my idea of a classical top. I replaced the top on a guitar left to me by my husband's late daughter a few years ago, before I built any guitars. But, it vibrated 2 notes at once if not fretted precisely on a fret. I never found the cause.

So, I'm replacing the top again. It's nice engelmann. I don't have any plans, so I studied bracing patterns I saw on the internet and chose the traditional Torres fan with 7 braces.

I thinned the top to .110, but with further sanding, it is .085-.090" thick. The soundhole reinforcement is about 1mm thick. The bridge plate is 1/4" wider and longer than the bridge, but is only 1.5mm thick. It's also made of engelmann, cut crossgrain to the top.

All of the bracing, except the transverse braces are 1/4" wide and about 7mm high. I may have over done the transverse braces, but they looked substantial to me in photos. Both are 1/2" and right now 5/8" high. I'll take a lot off when I peak them, leaving height, but taking a lot of bulk.

Comments are welcome.
PicsArt_12-10-08.10.29.jpg
PicsArt_12-10-02.27.23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Looks perfect to me.

The trans braces on the top are exactly right. IMHO, I would shape but not lower. I am currently following a measured drawing of a 1923 Domingo Esteso. He used 5/16" x 0.5" transverse and 1/4" w x 1/8" tall fan bracing. His top thickness finished at 0.09" to 0.078" tapering towards the edge. BTW on the back, braces ranged from 0.5" to 0.75" tall (center of middle where the arch was biggest).
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Sounds like I need to decrease the height of my fan braces. Otherwise, I'm okay. I've already shaped the transverse without decreasing the height.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Sounds like I need to decrease the height of my fan braces. Otherwise, I'm okay. I've already shaped the transverse without decreasing the height.
I should add that on the Esteso (and many others) the fan braces have a 'tent or roof' shape, peak in center with angled sides that go down about half the distance from the top of the fan brace.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Danl8 wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote:Sounds like I need to decrease the height of my fan braces. Otherwise, I'm okay. I've already shaped the transverse without decreasing the height.
I should add that on the Esteso (and many others) the fan braces have a 'tent or roof' shape, peak in center with angled sides that go down about half the distance from the top of the fan brace.
I understand. I made this shape on all of them after I decreased the height. I installed the top and binding. I'm in the process of fp.

Thanks for your input. It helped a lot!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

PicsArt_12-12-06.29.48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars