Finishing a maple fretboard

What're You Doing?
ChuckBarnett

Re: Finishing a maple fretboard

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Thanks, John. Would you think one coat is adequate? Or?

And, from the video I watched it looks like you simply rub it in. I wonder about it being level surrounding the frets. Apparently that will be a minimal problem? I have not done anything to these frets except bevel the ends.
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

I would like to match the color of the fretboard with the bird's-eye maple rosette around the sound hole. It will be French polished and so I'm wondering if I should spray a coat of Zinsser clear shellac on the fretboard before I do the superglue process. Any thoughts?
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Reporting on progress. I put two coats of thin Rockler CA glue on with an hour and a half between coats. I simply used a cotton paint cloth and rubbed it in the best I could. I will sand at this point and then put another coat on on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's looking really good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

thanks for this thread. I am talking to my next "customers" and one of them wants a maple fretboard on an 0-body. I never even noticed that this is pretty darn rare on acoustic guitars and found some of the reasons to be listed as it is hard too keep clean looking and wears more quickly. I imagine my player will be proud to see it wear in and if he ever wears it out, we'll laugh and make a new one. I am several months from starting but will likely be giving it a shot.

This one is really nice and is an inspiration.