Super glue method for installing binding

What're You Doing?
ChuckBarnett

Super glue method for installing binding

Post by ChuckBarnett »

I watched Robbie O'Brien's video on the super glue method of installing binding. I like that. I looked on LMI's site for the mild NFC accelerator he used in the video without success. I've never used accelerator and don't have a great deal of experience with super glue. For those of you who use CA glue for installing binding what do you use and where do you find it?

Gratefully,
phavriluk

Re: Super glue method for installing binding

Post by phavriluk »

I've used CA to assemble r/c model airplanes for forty years. It can be a big timesaver. With parts up in the air and several of them at the same time, I suspect I could imitate the Sorcerer's Apprentice real easy. A skilled person can make using the stuff look like child's play, but it can get out of control and run everywhere and kick off when parts ain't where they're intended and create the grandest mess.

I suggest if someone has limited to no experience with using CA, don't start gaining that experience on their guitar project.
peter havriluk
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

phavriluk wrote:A skilled person can make using the stuff look like child's play, but it can get out of control and run everywhere and kick off when parts ain't where they're intended and create the grandest mess.

I suggest if someone has limited to no experience with using CA, don't start gaining that experience on their guitar project.
Thank you, Peter, for the wisdom! I see Robbie's plan is to get things taped into position tightly. That would be important.

I am curious, what method do you use? And how would that be for a rookie? (Of course there's no method that is foolproof if you play the part of the fool, no?) ;)
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I've bound exactly two guitars, with wood. Third one on the bench. I am not someone to follow, seeing as I'm feeling my way through the processes. I have not found it easy to tape bindings into place in their entirety, even for a test fit. I needed to press and pull, and then tape down, inch by inch during the gluing (thank you, Titebond Extend). Otherwise, looser than I wanted. I like my results so far.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I just finished my 3rd instrument doing this and it works well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 488198220/

Ed
Ed M
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I'm contemplating on doing this with curly maple binding. I have thin CA with spray activator. Do I need to seal the binding and the rosewood back and sides with shellac first?
~ Neil
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Yes, seal with shellac. It's a good practice to get into when using CA. The Glueboost accelerator worked great for me. You can get it from their website or from LMII. Their CAs are good too and less stinky than most.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I don't think you want to seal the wood, you won't get as good a bond. You would be bonding to the shellac, and you want to bond to the wood.

If it's rosewood, it wouldn't hurt to wipe down the gluing surfaces with acetone or something similar to get rid of the oil in the rosewood before you apply the glue.

I've been using this stuff https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_S ... _Glue.html for bindings. One can't wick it in the way one can with the low-viscosity CA glue though.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've bound using Robbie's method, with wood binding, plastic, and ivoroid. It works well. If you don't already have it, use 3M green tape, which has the strength and stretch to pull your binding into the channel.

A word of caution with spruce tops though. Seal the edge of the spruce, because it will turn an ugly yellow. Seal JUST the spruce, leaving the rest of the channel raw for good adhesion. I use a coat of shellac.

If you're binding rosewood, cocobolo, or any other oily or resin rich wood, clean your channel with alcohol first, for a good bind. Resin will only dissolve in alcohol.

I found a nifty little secret when using accelerator:

I use Glue Boost, and I accidentally found out that after spraying, any subsequent application of ca glue resulted in an immediate bond. I take advantage of this by lightly prespraying Glue Boost in the channel first, taping the binding, then applying the ca glue. It doesn't matter how long you've waited between applying the Glue Boost and ca glue. The open time is irrelevant. The glue will harden in seconds. Glue Boost doesn't need to be wet to accelerate. This way you know your bond is secure all the way around

If you use a different accelerator, do a test to see if it performs the same way. I have some titebond accelerator in my shop. I'll test it tomorrow and post the results.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use thin ca glue that I get from woodcraft. I get Glue Boost Accelerator directly from their site: https://gluboost.com/product/gluboost-n ... celerator/

Here is the CA glue that I buy. You can also find it on Amazon.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/stic ... thin-4-6oz
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com