Cutting Prufling and Binding Using a Gramil

What're You Doing?
Gibsonman

Cutting Prufling and Binding Using a Gramil

Post by Gibsonman »

Ok I have already talked to one member here on this forum who gave me a some great advise and was just a great person.
I have a question for everybody on here that has ever used a Gramil for cutting the channels for the pruflings by hand. I am not concern with speed and really like the idea of doing things by hand.
My question is can anybody here tell me their feeling on using this tool and if you think this will work taking your time?
I already know that keeping it sharp and taking your time is key, but should I do this or not.
Thanks in advance.
Danl8

Re: Cutting Prufling and Binding Using a Gramil

Post by Danl8 »

I started with a homemade purfling cutter made from Irving Sloane's pattern in his 1960's guitar-making book. After the first use, in 1974, I bought the Ibex purfling cutter, a better quality tool, which I used until I got John Hall's device a couple of years ago. Gramils work fine and as you note a killer sharp blade is necessary, and for me a series of light scoring cuts gives the best result. Especially in doing soft cedar tops, this will avoid tearing out fibers. And follow the routing pattern like stewmac has on their website.
tippie53

Re: Cutting Prufling and Binding Using a Gramil

Post by tippie53 »

tools are wonderful things. The more complicated the more skill to use it. This tool is simple but takes skill to make it work. The simpler the tool the more hand skill it take. Learn to use it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com