Closing the Box Upside-Down with Go Bars?

What're You Doing?
phavriluk

Re: Closing the Box Upside-Down with Go Bars?

Post by phavriluk »

I suggest that OP make up proper tooling, it need not be fancy, but it also should not be makeshift. Repurposed shop scrap materials may allow being forced to work, but the couple of hours spent making up dedicated tooling will show up in a better end result. Tooling is so cheap to make compared to the cost of the materials in the instrument.

One person's opinion.
peter havriluk
Meng1988

Post by Meng1988 »

phavriluk wrote:I suggest that OP make up proper tooling, it need not be fancy, but it also should not be makeshift. Repurposed shop scrap materials may allow being forced to work, but the couple of hours spent making up dedicated tooling will show up in a better end result. Tooling is so cheap to make compared to the cost of the materials in the instrument.

One person's opinion.
Thanks Peter.

And for this job the correct tool would be some type of board (seems like masonite is a popular option) cut to be the shape of the rim of the guitar with a couple inches inside.

My challenge is that I don't have a bandsaw (or any electric saw for that matter), and I'm not sure how to accomplish this without an electric saw. Any thoughts on how to create an appropriate caul without a bandsaw?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you should have something on the bottom of the go bar as they can put too much pressure and go through the foam and mark your top. A small bottle cap or cut small pieces of wood as a hard pad. I use the halo ( masonite ) in the video but also use 1/4 in thin wood pads
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

What hand tools to use?

Cut out the outside perimeter with a coping saw, frame saw, turning saw, or key hole saw. Or cut directly in from the outside with a hand saw til you are near the line - do that many times all the way around, then break off the fingers and remove to the line with a sharp chisel or a rasp. LIke this but with a hand saw:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 488198220/

Once the outside is cut, drill a hole inboard of the inside line with a 1/2" or so bit in a hand drill. then thread a coping saw blade through the hole and use it to cut out the interior. Touch up with a rasp or some 80 grit on a block.

Or, you can get a cheap jig saw at almost any garage sale for $5 - what better tool to use for a jig?

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Based on John's note, it seems to me that you don't need any sort of continuous ring. Put on a layer of foam--not too thick, just enough to protect the surface -- and go-bar the heck out of the perimeter with the ends of the go-bars sitting in bottle caps on top of the foam. LOTS of go-bars, as msny as will fit. Moderate pressure for each individual rod, adding up to "a lot."
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion