Purfling channel route- bearing adjustment.

What're You Doing?
lonecedar959

Purfling channel route- bearing adjustment.

Post by lonecedar959 »

OK - i understand the binding channel depth and width. I can do that. What I am not gettng is how to combine that with the purfling channel on the top. Its the router bearing adjustment and routher bit I am not quite sure of. How do I just rout a channel in the top and not on the sides? Do I put something between the bearing and router bit to push the bit above the sides?

The purfling is white black white plastic measure total of .050 in all together.

I did it at Johns but I dont remember making that adjustment myself.

Thanks for any assistance here.

-Pat
tippie53

Re: Purfling channel route- bearing adjustment.

Post by tippie53 »

the router adjusts the depth of the cut , so make a test cut on some scrap. The bearing on the bit allow the width of cut adjustment.
What router are you using?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Assuming I'm understanding your setup correctly:

Rout the binding channel first. Then replace the bearing that contacts the side of the guitar with one of sufficiently smaller diameter to move the router bit over far enough to cut the purfling channel, and raise the bit sufficiently so the depth is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The exception to what MaineGeezer said is when your binding is larger (deeper down the side), it would be better to cut the shallow purfling channel first so that you have a larger bearing surface on the side. (ask me how I learned that)

Very nice drawing, MaineGeezer!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

one thing I will add is this.
as was mentioned beware of how the bearing rides. I have a number of binding sets and one has a thinner bearing and if you cut the binding first you ride too close to the edge so always beware of the contact areas
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks Everyone

MainGeezer - great picture !!! Now I see how to do it.

John - its the router that came with the binding machine I bought from you - Its a Rigid.

And yes - this answers the other quesiton - the binding is about 1/4 inch and the purfling is .050 inches so I will go with the purfling channel first.

-Pat