Early Larson Brothers Influenced Top Purfling

What're You Doing?
glasalle1

Early Larson Brothers Influenced Top Purfling

Post by glasalle1 »

Hi Gang,

I haven't had a lot of time to build, but got a whole day yesterday. I was able to do the top purfling on my Larson Brothers Prairie State Inspired Jumbo yesterday. The particulars:

- I had already routed out the top and back for the bindings and purfling. My purfling width is .375", and thanks to john for making me a special doughnut for my binding jig, I was able to route that wide channel.
- I used Holly Binding/Black/Dentile/red/Pearl/red/dentile/black. .065/.020/.078/.020/.049/.020/.078/.020 inches for each
- Given the back and sides are cocobolo, and I was going to tack in with super glue, I did a complete shellac wash over the entire body, including the routed binding/purfling channels
- I used a bl/wh/bl purfling strip on the bottom of the binding as well. so i had a ton of pieces of wood to get glued into place!
- After a bunch of tries to get all organized, I decided I would tack the Holly binding/purfing into place on both sides along the lower bout with super glue in order to create a "ledge" that I could start the surfing strips with.
- I slowly taped the wood strips and plastic filler (for the pearl) in place, and taped the entire guitar
- I then used thin super glue along the entire top to glue into place - avoiding the open time of glue as I am sure there is no way I was going to be able to get all into place before the glue set.
- once glued, I removed all the tape, and gave the top purflings a "Duco Bath"... my thoughts were the Duco would help swell the wood, and close any gapes... and it did!!
- Once all dried, I scraped the bindings down close... and then pulled the plastic out a bit at a time, and per Johns video, cracked pearl into the gap.
- I did a light sanding, and will keep it this way until i do date back binding, and get the whole body sanded etc.

Pretty happy how it turned out!!

Glenn

pics:
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Early Larson Brothers Influenced Top Purfling

Post by tippie53 »

darn purdyyyyy
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Very, very nice purfling. Love it.
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

That's a lot of layers! Looks like you pulled it off, though. Nice work.

Can you tell me where you sourced the Holly?
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks guys! I believe I got the holly from eBay about 5 years ago... very nice pure white bindings.

Glenn.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I used to get my holly (and ebony, too) for lute building from A&M Wood Specialty in Cambridge, Ontario. Holly was white as snow and very high quality. Ebony (Gabon) was also very high quality and perfectly dimensioned. No idea if they are still in business.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow that is really attractive Glenn, nice work indeed. I sure like it.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Does the width of the purfling channel extend into the top beyond the area that is supported by the kerfing? If so, did you take any special precautions?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I would believe that it does extend beyond.. the purfling width is .375. I did the same on my Stella 12 fret guitar and loved the way it sounded... I didn’t do any other precautions. The depth of the channel is the same as the pearl.. which is not very deep. I think .050 or .060... can’t recall

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glen

I have read several luthiers talking about intentionally thinning the soundboard at the edges by sanding after the top is glued on. I wonder if there is a difference between your guitar style with and without the purfling? I know my ears aren't good enough to know!

Looks just great

Ed
Ed M