Crack in back and side set from online vendor

What're You Doing?
Digipenguin

Crack in back and side set from online vendor

Post by Digipenguin »

Greetings. Not sure if this should go here or in the repair section or what.

I ordered a Chechen back and side set from an online vendor. The back has a split that comes in from the edge in the middle of the board about 7-8 inches long. It's right in the middle of one of the back halves, no way to avoid it by cutting around it.

This is my first acoustic build so I'm not sure what to do.

I have woodworking experience and if this was a box or piece of furniture or even an electric guitar, I would just glue it back together and not worry about it. The split could be made invisible i am sure of that. But I'm not sure if this is going to affect the tone when I thin it out to its target thickness. Or if it will affect the finish.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm just a little bummed that I paid good money for this and it is cracked. I'm trying to fgigure out if I should get a refund or exchange or if I am overreacting to a small thing that won't affect the quality of the finished product.
tippie53

Re: Crack in back and side set from online vendor

Post by tippie53 »

I would contact the supplier and see if they would replace it.

Yes you can glue it back together but see if you can get it replaced
jh
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Re: Crack in back and side set from online vendor

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've had a few problems with wood I've ordered. In all cases the dealer made a great effort to make me happy. If the cracks aren't the result of anything you did, and the wood is from a reputable dealer, I expect they will do their best to "make it right." Definitely worth asking, anyway. Things like that happen from time to time.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion