Fretboard binding - how much overhang?

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Fretboard binding - how much overhang?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I am binding a fretboard and have a question

On an ebony board, I am contemplating a .06 abalone strip down either edge, with about a .06 ebony strip outside of that. That leaves about .12 outboard of the actual ebony board down either edge. I am thinking that the frets will not like seating in the abalone, so the cut off tang will have to span the entire .12 of the combined ebony/abalone edging.

Is this too much for no tang??

Something like this, but with different materials and the fret slot not continuing through the "white" part

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Re: Fretboard binding - how much overhang?

Post by MaineGeezer »

Assuming you don't cut off more than you need to, i.e. so the actual overhang is not much more than 1/8", I don't see why it would be a problem.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use the poly so I can set the pearl and allow breaks at the slot so the tangs do blow out the pearl. If you set the pearl in solid use the inlay bit .032 and open the pearl so the tangs don't chip it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Thanks. Sounds like I install the abalone but not the binding, cut the fret slots, then use a slightly wider saw or dremel bit to just open the slot in the pearl. Even though the barbs on the tangs won'r hold in the abalone, the tang will keep the fret from flexing back and forth.
Ed M