Nut Install

What're You Doing?
twenty2late

Nut Install

Post by twenty2late »

What type of glue do you all use to glue your nuts on, and at what point in the process is it best to do so?

I've been using little dabs of Titebond Original, and I typically glue it when I put the 1st set of strings on so that they "clamp" it. Due to the shape of the neck at that point, I find it difficult to clamp it any other way.

Any best practices? Thanks.

V/R

Ken
johnnparchem

Re: Nut Install

Post by johnnparchem »

I do it the day before I ship the guitar off, so none of my own guitars have a glued in nut. Like you say a dab of glue lets the strings hold in place. I just do it so my clients will not drop out the nut when they change the strings.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Sounds reasonable. You want the nut to be removable without resorting to heroic measures. As John says, just enough to keep it from falling out, or from shifting side-to-side.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
lyricalgeek

Post by lyricalgeek »

I use a single dab of CA glue between the nut and the fretboard. That way, if/when I need to remove the nut I can give it a tap with a hammer along the fretboard towards the headstock and it will pop the CA joint and the nut will come out easily.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use drop of thin ca glue between the nut and fretboard.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Mike Baker

Post by Mike Baker »

I use titebond. A single drop on the edge of the fretboard that the nut faces.