Inlay Question

What're You Doing?
twenty2late

Inlay Question

Post by twenty2late »

Ok...Not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I've routed the inlay cavity to as close as I can (which leaves a lot of room for improvement). However, I can't seem to fill the voids around it. I put the dust in, add CA, hit it with activator, and then sand it down. But...it doesn't seem to want to fill. I'm using ebony dust from Stewmac and normal CA. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: Inlay Question

Post by Danl8 »

Hi Ken,
No special expertise here, but i use the black medium CA getting it to puddle over the void and hit with accelerator. Depending on the ebony it can be hard to see, so that has worked really well. Using ebony dust on my first several projects with CA was an exercise in futility.
-d.
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

I use lacquer sticks. You can melt it in and with a little fine sanding it's invisible.
They are available in many colors.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

did you see my video on inlay ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7gYBqLRdMo
I used CA and a black sharpie and accelerator
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use John's method, but you need to use an accelerator like GlueBoost. I used Titebond accelerator and it didn't work well. I'm not sure if any other accelerator works like Glue Boost, so it's all I use now.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

John,

I did see it. But...it was fighting me. Most likely because I have to use a dremel to route it and I haven't had much practice. However, I found a way to make it work, and my apologies for posting a pic of the grain fill instead of the dust....too much stuff on the bench!!

So...I took some duco cement and squeezed it onto a piece of wax paper. Then mixed in the ebony dust and used a fine brush to dab it into the gaps. I don't have any pics readily available, but, it filled it in perfectly and you can't even see where the fill is compared to the ebony. It looks perfect!!!

V/R
Ken
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

no need to apologize the part of this is to find what you can make work there are more ways to do this and learning to cover the voids is good as there is more than one way and the more techniques you know the better off you are
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com