Hide Glue

What're You Doing?
Super72bb

Hide Glue

Post by Super72bb »

Hi All,

I am starting my 3rd guitar and I wanted to use Hot Hide Glue for this one.

I recently purchased a new glue pot and some HHG - 192 gram strength. I have mixed it as per the instructions 1 part granules to 1.9 parts water. The glue pot brings the temp up just perfect at around 145 degrees. I have glued some test pieces and what I am finding is that fish glue seems to be better!.

From the tests I have done fish glue seems to dry harder than the HHG and the peices that I have glued seem to break verses fail at the joint like they seem to be doing with the HHG. I have watched a number of videos and I am confident that I am preparing and using the glue correctly.

I know there are many fans of HHG on the forum but the way I feel at the moment is I may be better off with Fish glue. Has anyone had a similar experience or perhaps able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Curtis
johnnparchem

Re: Hide Glue

Post by johnnparchem »

Fish glue is good and easy to use , hot hide glue is good but needs to be use correctly. I would not be confident in your use of hot hide glue until you can glue up test pieces that do not fail at the glue line. But always using Fish glue is OK, for me it has too long of a clamping time.
Super72bb

Post by Super72bb »

That sounds like a good approach Johnnparchem. I am not sure what it is that is wrong as everything I have read about HHG is that it is more superior than most other glues for its strength and hard crystal like properties when it is cured.

I mixed the HHG 1:1.9 granules/water - by weight. I let the water soak in for a few hours then heated it up in the glue pot.

Can anyone suggest something else to try with it to make the glue stronger? I would really like to get this down as I am keen to build this one with Hide Glue. As for the glue itself, it is new and it is from LMI. I don’t suppose that getting a bad batch of glue is very likely? I have been storing the new glue (2 months old) in the fridge.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Super72bb wrote:That sounds like a good approach Johnnparchem. I am not sure what it is that is wrong as everything I have read about HHG is that it is more superior than most other glues for its strength and hard crystal like properties when it is cured.

I mixed the HHG 1:1.9 granules/water - by weight. I let the water soak in for a few hours then heated it up in the glue pot.

Can anyone suggest something else to try with it to make the glue stronger? I would really like to get this down as I am keen to build this one with Hide Glue. As for the glue itself, it is new and it is from LMI. I don’t suppose that getting a bad batch of glue is very likely? I have been storing the new glue (2 months old) in the fridge.
How are you clamping it. Also it helps to warm the wood you are going to join. The glue jells quickly.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use 251 gram strength. I had the Behlen B940-00255, which is what Stewmac sells, but I had a couple of bridge failures. I now use BT&C 251 gram strength and I've had no problems.

I know that you see a lot of recommendations for 192 gram strength on the internet, but 251 seems to be more reasonable for guitars, especially bridges. It sounds like you need to increase your gram strength.

You could try making it a bit thicker, that may help. Making your 192 thicker, or switching to 251 will decrease your open time, so you'll have to work a little quicker. Also, put the hide glue on both surfaces, if you haven't already done so, and see what happens. I apply glue to both surfaces when I set the dovetail and bridge. Otherwise, I just put it on one surface for everything else.

As John said, warming your components may help and will increase open time. I actually glue and clamp, then use a hairdryer to warm the area. It works like a charm. You want to gently warm the joint; make sure that you don't overheat a glued joint.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use both fish and the 2 hhg. When you do a test piece did it lift wood at that point the gram strength is moot. Most glue is stronger than the wood. The advantages here are open time and viscosity.
I still use Fish for the gluing top and back on for the open time
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com