Wood bindings/purflings - Glue

What're You Doing?
carld05

Re: Wood bindings/purflings - Glue

Post by carld05 »

I used fish glue on the last two. They had curly maple bindings with bwb purfling. I attached the purfling to one edge with titebond III using the smallest HF spring clips (more colorful than clothespins) previous to bending (I use a blanket in my bender.) The fish glue gave me plenty of time and was easy to clean up even after drying and tape removal. Could apply the glue from end graft to neck joint before starting to tape instead of smaller sections at a time...I liked it.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Fish glue is great stuff. However, since guitars are made to be disassembled should the need arise, for repairs, etc., Titebond original is recommended, in lieu of Titebond II or III.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I used the titebond III because my understanding is that it holds up to bending heat better than the other titebonds and in that application should not be an issue in any disassembly situation.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I've used Titebond III to glue purfling to the bottom of binding prior to bending it, and I had no delamination as I had experienced when I had just used regular Titebond. It holds up better to the heat and moisture. However, CA is the best adhesive to use for attaching the purfling to the binding before bending, in MOP.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I can see using it for lamination. I would never use it for the construction of the guitar, or to glue the binding to a guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Kevin, what's your procedure using the CA. Do you use a jig? I tried to follow the video instructions on the GluBoost website and had no luck with that procedure so went back to the TBIII.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

If you clamp the binding and purfling together between two boards covered with wax paper, then you can weep the CA in. Works great, of course is is when they are straight before bending. Scrape the sides down flush when dry and you are good to go.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Thank you very much......!