John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Re: fret video

Post by Danl8 »

This one is titled set the neck plane, but is a good topic nonetheless. I'm watching now. :-)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I thought that the neck geometry was eatablished, with the help of the fretboard, by setting the neck with the fretboard attached. I'm a little confused as to the sequence now for a new build.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you cannot assume the fret board is perfect so one you establish the neck geometry , when you glue the fret board on you want to check that the fretboard is then set correctly.
The better each step is prepped the better you can get the guitar to play. Don't confuse prepping the fret board joint with final prep of the fretboard.

yes there a many ways to do it , find the way that give you a REPEATABLE result.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

tippie53 wrote:There a many ways to do it, find the way that give you a REPEATABLE result.
This applies as much to playing the guitar as it does to building it. There are many ways to play a lick or a sequence of chords, but quite often one jumps out as being most easily replicated. Unless one sounds better, go for the one that's easiest to replicate.