Glue proofing Spool Clamp Cork?

What're You Doing?
Kbore

Glue proofing Spool Clamp Cork?

Post by Kbore »

I'm about to glue on the top having dry fitted several times.
What do you guys treat your cork with ( on both spool faces) to keep glue from sticking to it? I can see it enevitable that's going to happen, and I'd rather not ruin the cork faces if there is a great home grown release agent so glue gloop is easily removed without tearing the cork. im thinking a little jojoba oil or pure carnuba wax? Anything on the cork will transfer to the wood, so its it's a serious matter : )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Glue proofing Spool Clamp Cork?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wax might work, but you don't want slippery
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Wouldn't most of the squeeze out be below the cork face? A neat, but sufficient, application of glue might be useful - clean up can be a challenge around spool clamps. You might consider green tape all around the top to prevent the top from getting cork marks.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Embrace your fears:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nice! I like the oval spools; gives the opportunity for a little more holding area. With the glued edge down, I understand your concern for the squeeze out glue running onto the spools.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Like you said, an efficient application of glue was a fine solution. That was not a "fun" tsk either.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It seems to me that waxing the clamps would discourage glue binding for any type of glue.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:It seems to me that waxing the clamps would discourage glue binding for any type of glue.
I'm going to try wax on a couple and see how a slick surface works on the radiused back. I'll be glueing the back this week after I cut the pockets for back braces. Oh, and glue on the side strips - there's always one more thing..... : )
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote:It seems to me that waxing the clamps would discourage glue binding for any type of glue.
I'm going to try wax on a couple and see how a slick surface works on the radiused back. I'll be glueing the back this week after I cut the pockets for back braces. Oh, and glue on the side strips - there's always one more thing..... : )
I would try wax on a scrap of wood first, to see if it makes it glue proof, before using it on anything important.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

True, but I don't use anything because I don't want the wax (or oil, or whatever) to come in contact with the wood itself. Cork is cheap ... you can buy it in sheets at most big-box office stores and cut it to whatever size you need. I also use it for my cam clamps. If it ever gets ratty, I just cut it off and replace it.