Repairing worm holes

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

Repairing worm holes

Post by kinspeed »

I have acquired a nicely figured Malaysian Blackwood back and side set but there are some worm holes in the sapwood and hardwood. What would be the best way to repair them? I have considered ca glue or an Epoxy. There is a product called Abatron Liquid Wood that is used to repair structures and it's been used for Violin repair. I also have some Z-Poxy. Any wisdom you could share is greatly appreciated. If you have some pics, that's always a plus. Thank you!
Danl8

Re: Repairing worm holes

Post by Danl8 »

What works for me is to take a small toothpick-size piece the the same wood, turn it or sand it round to the hole size, orient the grain, and glue it in with titebond or ca + accelerator. I use a sharp chisel to cut it off after drying and finish sand. For ebony fingerboards, CA + accelerator and an ebony toothpick make wormholes disappear. I get wormy seconds from the factory and find the repairs like this now pretty easy to make.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

That is a great tip, thank you. The ones I have are small pin holes maybe .010"-.015" max.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if they are tiny I let the filler do them but larger one I also use a "toothpic" method
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com