Multi Line Purfling

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

Multi Line Purfling

Post by kinspeed »

What are your preferences in multi line purfling? I'm leaning toward the fiber purfling for the finer lines and ease of use.
MaineGeezer

Re: Multi Line Purfling

Post by MaineGeezer »

I generally use the laminated wood purfling from StewMac http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... fling.html or LMI. I think the LMI purfling may be of slightly better quality, but it's not enough to worry about.
I've not found it particularly difficult to work with.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I get mine made from Gurian Instruments
if your doing side purfling you need to bend it to make it easier to use. I bend this in my bending machine pinched between the bindings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've pre-bent purfling by first cutting a channel in a piece of plywood that is the curve I want to bend the purfling to, then using a heat gun to heat the purfling, starting at one end and gradually working the purfling into the channel.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you very much for the tips. What is the most common size, .010, .020 or .030? Does anyone have some pics they would be willing to share with their size of choice. I'd love to see some of each. Thank you!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

"It all depends" on the look you want. For instance, http://www.advancedshelltech.com/Images ... 00x350.png may have 0.010/0.020/0.010 B/W/B on either side of the abalone.
The stuff is pretty cheap. Buy a few sizes and experiment with possible combinations. I often make up a short 1" or 2" test section of a binding/purfling combination I'm thinking of using. I glue a scrap of top and a scrap of side to a block of wood, then rout the required binding and purfling channels and glue in the strips. That will let you see if the proportions are reasonable.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer says it all; this is a design consideration that is in the eye of the beholder. I do the same as the other guys routing a test with an inch or two all glued up. Then I glue up four binding strips with side purfling (racemic setup) and add top purfling all taped together with wood strips on either side to prevent twisting and then bend. Works like a charm. I've always used wood purfling up until my current project. Fiber has better white, but doesn't cut as nicely.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Search for "guitar purfling images" and you'll get more design ideas than you could ever use.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you! I have searched a thousand and one images and come up with some good ideas. I still can't easily determine a multi line purfling size. Images and sizes would be awesome.

Has anyone tries the Purflex purfling?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Purflex purfling...yes. It's beautiful. It's expensive. It takes a lot of care to do a good installation. I used it on my second guitar. See "Cherry Parlor Guitar Project #2" viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255 in Blog Your Project for the gory details.

A couple of things: The Purflex pattern is relatively thin, so you have to pay close attention to the depth of your grooves so you don't sand right through it or have a depression. After installing the Purflex, you fill it with black epoxy. Then you bring everything down to final height. I sanded it down. DON'T! Sanding created fine black dust that embedded itself in the grain of the top and made it look dirty. I had a heck of a time getting the top to look clean. If I were doing it again, I'd probably put a sealer coat of shellac on the bare wood, and I would chisel, then scrape, the Purflex to final height.