Multi Line Purfling

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

Re: Multi Line Purfling

Post by kinspeed »

MaineGeezer wrote:Purflex purfling...yes. It's beautiful. It's expensive. It takes a lot of care to do a good installation. I used it on my second guitar. See "Cherry Parlor Guitar Project #2" viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255 in Blog Your Project for the gory details.

A couple of things: The Purflex pattern is relatively thin, so you have to pay close attention to the depth of your grooves so you don't sand right through it or have a depression. After installing the Purflex, you fill it with black epoxy. Then you bring everything down to final height. I sanded it down. DON'T! Sanding created fine black dust that embedded itself in the grain of the top and made it look dirty. I had a heck of a time getting the top to look clean. If I were doing it again, I'd probably put a sealer coat of shellac on the bare wood, and I would chisel, then scrape, the Purflex to final height.
Bruce Petros uses a scraper to get the epoxy down and then does a final sanding. He also seals the wood with shellac. I'm still torn on what multiline to use. I want it to all look congruent. I don't want bright white lines with the maple color of the Purflex. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

kinspeed wrote:
MaineGeezer wrote:Purflex purfling...yes. It's beautiful. It's expensive. It takes a lot of care to do a good installation. I used it on my second guitar. See "Cherry Parlor Guitar Project #2" viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255 in Blog Your Project for the gory details.

A couple of things: The Purflex pattern is relatively thin, so you have to pay close attention to the depth of your grooves so you don't sand right through it or have a depression. After installing the Purflex, you fill it with black epoxy. Then you bring everything down to final height. I sanded it down. DON'T! Sanding created fine black dust that embedded itself in the grain of the top and made it look dirty. I had a heck of a time getting the top to look clean. If I were doing it again, I'd probably put a sealer coat of shellac on the bare wood, and I would chisel, then scrape, the Purflex to final height.
Bruce Petros uses a scraper to get the epoxy down and then does a final sanding. He also seals the wood with shellac. I'm still torn on what multiline to use. I want it to all look congruent. I don't want bright white lines with the maple color of the Purflex. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Check out the multi line purfling from LMII. The white is actually white maple, which will color the same color as your finish, so there are no bright white lines
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

I believe I am just going to go with black around the purflex. I saw a photo of a guitar like that and it looked beautiful.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

also tortoise looks killer against pearl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote:also tortoise looks killer against pearl
I never thought of that combo.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars