Making Pickguards Glossy

What're You Doing?
msloescher

Making Pickguards Glossy

Post by msloescher »

I need to put a plastic pickguard on an old D-41 kit, and the one supplied is dull plastic. I called Martin to see if I could buy a pickguard for a D41, but they only sell old style tortoise and dull black. Grevin's are backordered elsewhere, so I need to put a pick guard on and D 41's are not the same size as D-28s and 35s. I can cut one to fit, but I much prefer glossy. Can anyone tell me how to do it?
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars
tippie53

Re: Making Pickguards Glossy

Post by tippie53 »

it is glossy there is a plastic cover on it you can lift it off look real close at the point
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
msloescher

Post by msloescher »

Not this one unfortunately.
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Never having actually done it, I'd probably get a selection of Micro-Mesh abrasives (for example, http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/ ... micro-mesh ), work my way up through the grits to 12,000, and see where that got me.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Check Axiom Pickguards
they have a nice tortoise pickguard
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Dunno where OP is located, but this sounds like something that could be solved by walking into a luthier's shop and buying a pick guard of choice. Sometimes we over-think our problems and put questions onto forums which are more easily solved in person.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:Dunno where OP is located, but this sounds like something that could be solved by walking into a luthier's shop and buying a pick guard of choice. Sometimes we over-think our problems and put questions onto forums which are more easily solved in person.
You may be right about A local luthier, I hadn't thought of that. There is only one other luthier in my town, and he makes classical guitars without pickguards. I've never heard of Axiom pickguards. I learn something everyday from all of the questions posed on the forum. We welcome all questions.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
msloescher

Post by msloescher »

By the time you buy a sheet from Axiom and pay the shipping for celluloid, it's about $60 just to get the materials into your shop. Then you make it. Martin won't sell 1st quality Delmar. Grevin-similar products are hard to get, have to buy site unseen and options for a D-41 are limited to yellow leopard if pre-cut (you buy the d-45) or you can by a sheet, get it shipped and make it yourself again.
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am a Martin repair center and I can get you a guard
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc