Side purfling

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Side purfling

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

What is the secret to good side purfling? It has to bend, but it lays on its side. Trying to bend it along the flat plane makes it break. I tried wetting it to soften it on my 00 guitar, but the BWB purfling came apart.

So, how do you do this right?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Re: Side purfling

Post by MaineGeezer »

Try a heat gun, maybe? Or some other heat source.

This may not be the look you want, but I used this stuff http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... dings.html
with the attached B/W strips, and that worked quite well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I glue the purfling to the bindings first. I then use the same tape I use for bindings and tape a pair of the bindings\purfling together purfling to purfling using 4-5 strips of tape. The tape will keep the purflings clamped to the bindings when the glue softens while bending. They bend easily this way in a side bender or by hand on a bending iron or hot pipe.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

johnnparchem wrote:I glue the purfling to the bindings first. I then use the same tape I use for bindings and tape a pair of the bindings\purfling together purfling to purfling using 4-5 strips of tape. The tape will keep the purflings clamped to the bindings when the glue softens while bending. They bend easily this way in a side bender or by hand on a bending iron or hot pipe.
+1 on this.

I glue (CA) the side pieces to the binding and put all four binding pieces in the bender taped together. In spite of the heat and moisture, they generally hold up very well.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You mean you glue the purfling to the BOTTOM of the binding first, then bent the binding?

I didn't have any trouble controlling the binding, except at the waist. It twisted in one small place because of the bend.

I'm talking about the purfling in the sides of this guitar in this link download/file.php?id=8208&mode=view
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
John J

Post by John J »

For individual already dimensioned binding pieces I used to use ca, but I've switched to Titebond 3 and a bunch of these little clamps. I've also gone with say a 4" x 36" X 1/4"+ and glued veneer layers of walnut/maple/walnut veneers or black dyed veneer and maple etc. then cut on the band saw and run through the drum sander.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:You mean you glue the purfling to the BOTTOM of the binding first, then bent the binding?

I didn't have any trouble controlling the binding, except at the waist. It twisted in one small place because of the bend.

I'm talking about the purfling in the sides of this guitar in this link download/file.php?id=8208&mode=view
I am assuming you are talking about wood bindings, but Yes Glue it do the bottom of the binding first and bend as I suggested. It will bend right along with the bindings.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Yes, wood bindings. Thanks John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Can you split the purfling down the middle or something so it's not as tall relative to its width?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote:Can you split the purfling down the middle or something so it's not as tall relative to its width?
I've done that once, but last two guitars I did I just scraped the side purfling to the same depth as the binding which then bends without issue.