The pitfalls of moving work pieces

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

The pitfalls of moving work pieces

Post by kinspeed »

Are there pitfalls to moving my work pieces in and out of different locations? I have had a gentleman offer to let me use his workshop. He has every piece of large equipment I need to complete guitars, including a large drum sander. Would there be problems with moving my work pieces to his shop (not humidity controlled) to work on and then bringing them back to my shop, letting them acclimate, then doing my glue up? Will this prevent any of my joints, top and back, from remaining matched to one another?
kinspeed

Re: The pitfalls of moving work pieces

Post by kinspeed »

I guess it's all good then?
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

i think it is a great opprotunity to use good equipment.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

What a generous gift you've been offered. To make life easy, I label all the pieces I'm working on so's I know what cuts/services are needed on that very piece, and keep all the labeled parts in their dedicated container to move them around the shop, or in OP's case to the shop he's been offered. And back again. I hate mystery wood if I knew what it was for, but lost the thread of identification. I found it saves me lots of time when start/stop is a fact of life, identifying stuff, and especially avoiding mi$takes.
peter havriluk
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Hate to be a naysayer, but most likely you will find that book matched joints will not match as closely if there is much of a change in environment. Since you only need hand tools for the those, you might consider doing those in your own shop. Good luck with your projects.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You'll be fine as long as the humidity in your new work area matches the old work area. Otherwise you'll have problems with the pieces that you've glued. Check the humidities in both work areas, and correct it using a humidifier or dehumidifier, as needed and you'll be fine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the input. I was considering doing just as Bob suggested since the humidity in his shop is not the same as mine. His is in his uncontrolled garage and mine is in the basement. I mentioned to him the challenges of humidity and he said he had been considering doing something about that so who knows.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Use his big machines, bring them back to your environment at the end of the day. Wait another day and glue them up.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I agree with what John said; that sounds like a good solution.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

I will use the equipment but be cautious and let the pieces acclimate and then check them thoroughly before glue up. Thank you for your friendliness an help!