Sugested purfling/back strip scheme or general guidlines

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

Sugested purfling/back strip scheme or general guidlines

Post by kinspeed »

I've got Amazon Rosewood back and sides with Curly Koa binding. I would like to use some back strips on the 3 piece back. I think generally I would say to go with a light color against dark and dark against light. The challenge comes with the sapwood and wanting to stay congruent with the edge purfling. I'm thinking just going BWB or possibly using some Curly Koa between the BWB? Anyone have any additional thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by kinspeed on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamoat52

Re: Sugested purfling scheme or general guidlines

Post by jamoat52 »

I think a traditional herringbone would break up the pattern while minimizing the direct contrast of the curved sapwood with the relatively straight grained center section. You don't say what size guitar you're building or have a pattern drawn on the wood so it's hard to tell how "close" your pattern will be to the piece of wood. Perhaps you could joint the sapwood without any divider, then split the center section to make "wings" on the outside (either with or without purfling). A bit outside the box perhaps, but distinctively different?
George
John J

Post by John J »

Personally, if you have enough room, I'd make the center section a wedge and skip any purfling along the sapwood. It's such a beautiful contrast as it stands.
Learning every day.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

John J wrote:Personally, if you have enough room, I'd make the center section a wedge and skip any purfling along the sapwood. It's such a beautiful contrast as it stands.
Thanks, I was definitely planning on wedging the center section but thought it would benefit from a nice tight outline. I will surely consider what you said. It would be much easier that way. I appreciate the input.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I have to agree with John.
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If by purfling you mean 2 back strips, I have to agree that it would look great without

Ed
Ed M
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:If by purfling you mean 2 back strips, I have to agree that it would look great without

Ed
Yes, I meant back strips. Thanks for the correction. I changed it to read correctly.

Thans for all of the input guys. I appreciate it.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Ben-Had wrote:I have to agree with John.
I agree with both John and Tim; a wedge and no strips. That will be a dramatic back without embellishment.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Sugested purfling/back strip scheme or general guidlines

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm not a back strip person, so I'd opt for a wedge. Your eyes would go to the back strips instead of that beautiful wood figure.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kinspeed

Re: Sugested purfling/back strip scheme or general guidlines

Post by kinspeed »

Thanks for all of the input! I greatly appreciate it!