On my way to making my first classical guitar rosette.

What're You Doing?
Kevin Sjostrand

On my way to making my first classical guitar rosette.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I purchased the Rosette Making course on Robbie Obriens website, and got inspired to make a rosette for my next classical.
I've done some designs for tiles, and the veneer and fish glue will be here this week to make that.
Saturday I decided to go ahead and give a try to making some herringbone (and/or rope or wheat) purflings from some wood that I had around the shop.
I had maple, walnut and santos mahogany scraps in lengths at least 18" long, so I set out to make some veneers. This was quite a bit of work, but fun to do.
Cutting sticks that were the width and length I wanted, then cutting strips at about .08 mil and then pulling them through a veneer thicknesser I made from the video course to get them down to about .06 mil. Then the glue up, the cutting, regluing, and finally slicing off the last stick to get a piece that will be cut down the middle and then glued together to make the herringbone.
In the pic is the thicknesser, the fist strip cut off, and the remaining stick. I can get at least 8 slices hopefully from the stick which will give me 4 sets of purflings for a rosette, or I an take 4, glue them up two each end to end and have top purflings to go around the guitar top.
I will post more pics as I get the herringbone done, and begin to make the log out of purflings from which the tiles for the rosette will be made. Alot of work, but this is fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: On my way to making my first classical guitar rosette.

I have some purfling basically done. Two strips of herringbone, one not yet scraped, and two strips of wheat, neither of which are yet scraped and sized.
I used the fish glue on the wheat....man that is some sticky stuff, but it seemed to work well. Already I see if you put a little water on the fish glue, it immediately gets sticky again, so keep the water away from your dry glued up parts.
I have 3 or 4 more slices I can make up into more. I have my veneers for the mosaic tiles, so that will be the next part of the project.
- show quoted text -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John J

Post by John J »

Very nice! That wheat is on my list to try sometime.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

I came up with this design for my rosette mosaic ring. Hopefully I'll start gluing up veneers this weekend toward making a log from which to saw off the mosaic tiles.
Wood colors will be wenge, walnut, bloodwood, maple and holly for the back ground.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Very elegant design. I like it!
OswaldR

Post by OswaldR »

That's a really nice design Kevin.
Kevin Sjostrand

Well this sure hasn't happened yet. BUT, I have not given up on making the rosette. It will just have to wait awhile longer.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Nice work.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion