Keeping the sides parallel

What're You Doing?
GtarCarl

Keeping the sides parallel

Post by GtarCarl »

John:

In your "halo" video, you went into pointing out about keeping the sides parallel from bout to bout. But i don't think you went into any techniques and continued with the halo demonstration.

You probably don't remember me, but i stopped through a couple of years back on my way to New England and you thicknessed my mahogany top and back. You may remember the couple of bottles of homebrews I dropped off! Anyway, after some delay that guitar is finally together and i quickly noticed the sides (bout-to-bout) are not parallel, although overall the guitar is symmetrical. The lower bout is about 1" wider than the top.

So I guess on my next build I should carefully measure the width of both top and back to ensure they match before gluing. You pointed out that our molds may be off just a little too, so it is best to check, and you kind just left it at that.

Do you, or others have techniques that will assist to ensure the sides are parallel and square during glue up and when the guitar is laid on a bench?

Thanks, Carl
tippie53

Re: Keeping the sides parallel

Post by tippie53 »

When you set up the sides in the mold you want to look at the sides and the line of the 2 bouts so they are parallel to each other. The tells you that they are not twisted in the mold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz6xzVRA51E&t=19s
you also can check your mold symmetry . The other thing is to take your time setting the top and back that you get the top center line to mate with the mold center line. that controls everything as long as the mold is symmetrical . Yes I do remember you know that you mentioned beer LOL .
Post a few pics we would like to see it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Keeping the sides parallel

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Yes I do remember you now that you mentioned beer LOL . Post a few pics we would like to see it.
Hahaha!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com