Back brace

What're You Doing?
therealwhopper

Back brace

Post by therealwhopper »

Do the center back braces get installed as one piece and the crossbracing notched to fit or are the cross braces installed and the center brace applied as pieces between cross braces?
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Back brace

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

You can do it either way, whatever works best for you. The final result comes out the same. I've done it both ways, and I prefer gluing down the strip, then notching for the braces. I know the strip is straight this way. If you piece between the braces, a little harder to line up straight, but not that difficult, and in reality, who would see or notice if they were off a 1/32" or so through the sound hole, right?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do the cross grain first
that way I know it is straight , I can also sand a nice shape to it and burnish it to make it look finished.
Then I cut the channel to set in the braces.

I had tried gluing the in separate and never had good luck in making them appear finished.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the back cross grain should be flexible along the seam. Also you don't really want a support here with the same grain direction of the back. That is why spruce works so well here. It is strong yet flexible.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I glue the center seam reinforcement strip in, then notch it for the braces. Personal preference.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have done both thinking that cutting the notches afterward would be more difficult - it is MUCH easier. Mark the ends of your braces on the back, glue the center strip full length, set the braces on the center strip with the ends in the right places, use a sharp chisel with the bevel out to just barely mark the top of the back strip, saw inside that line, then pare across the back to the line - easy peasy

Ed
Ed M