PATCH

What're You Doing?
SnowManSnow

PATCH

Post by SnowManSnow »

so I should probably know this..
But whats the deal with putting a patch on the X brace? cloth? how do i do it?

Thanks,
B
ruby@magpage.com

Re: PATCH

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Lots of ways to do it. The reason is to strengthen the brace at a critical location where it has been reduced in height. One of the braces has its gap glued down to the back of the top so is not a problem, but the other has its gap open.

I have a 1933 Gibson L-00 that sounds about as good as a guitar can sound and it has a 1" diameter piece of loose-weave muslin cloth glued over the area with what looks like hide glue. I have seen others cover the gap with a small piece of spruce and even saw a thin strip of carbon fiber glued over it.

I have used the cloth idea glued with Titebond - a piece of T-shirt works well. On my current guitar, I will match the color of the patch to the side reinforcements made of bias tape.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I use a thin strip of brace material glued across the top, extending maybe an inch to either side of the gap.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
yellowesty

Post by yellowesty »

The joint Maine Geezer describes, the "capped" X-brace joint, is what Ervin Somogyi recommends in his first book,"The Responsive Guitar," on page 48. Interestingly, in his companion book, "Making the Responsive Guitar," I can't find any examples of a "capped" X-brace joint, and his pictures detailing the joint (page 44) show a nicely fitted X-brace without any cap, cloth or wood. FWIW