Where is this purfling

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Where is this purfling

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Might be in the wrong category - but. . .

I am looking for the rope purfling used on this Kamaka HB-2D uke. I wrote to them and they said they get it from Gurian, but it is not on Guriam's website right now - in addition, they have a $50 minimum order. LMI offers a couple of them, but the big one is too big and the small is too small. This one scales to just over 1/8" wide.

Any ideas?

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
johnnparchem

Re: Where is this purfling

Post by johnnparchem »

Most of Gurian's work is custom orders from luthiers, manufacturers and luthier supply shops. The stuff on his website is often overstock from previous orders. If you are in Seattle you can dumpster dive at his barge, it is amazing what you can find.

Maybe this would be a good time to start a marquetry project and make the rope binding you want. I have all of the supplies but have not yet started a project.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Grizzly has rope purfling but not sure if it is the size you're looking for.
Tim Benware
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Constantines (Fort Lauderdale) also has some, but I think it is a little wider than what you want.
ruby@magpage.com

Thanks Tim and Dan

The Grizzly stuff is very close, and the Constantine's would work if I can take off one of the black strip for cleaner install next to the tortoise binding

Ed
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Responding to my own post -

Looking for rope puefling, the Grizzly versions have eneven sizes of dark/ light pieces so it do not look like rope.

The tech guy at Constantine's had not heard of anyone bending their "inlay strips" and did not know what glue they were made of.

I called LMI and asked about the rope purfling listed at .250" and if it bent Ok. He said there must be a mistake because it is not that wide - he measured it and it is indeed .120 - they got the dimensions switched in the catalog. So an addition of a .20 strip on one side will make it look nice and be wide enough.

Thanks all

Ed
Ed M