Bridge lift fix?

What're You Doing?
twenty2late

Bridge lift fix?

Post by twenty2late »

Strung up my first last night and I'm pleased to say it sounds better than my HD-28! However, I noticed tonight that the bass side of the bridge is lifting slightly and immediately took tension off. I was sure I used enough glue. What's the best way to fix this? Hopefully not removing the bridge? Thanks.
V/R
Ken
tippie53

Re: Bridge lift fix?

Post by tippie53 »

what glue?
You may be able to work some glue under the gap and reclamp
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I suspect that the way to really fix it is to take the bridge off, remove all the old glue down to clean bare wood, and re-glue. If you used hot hide glue, meticulous cleaning is not necessary as hhg will stick to itself.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

I used titebond and had plenty of squeeze out. It is only lifting a little on the side and by less than a sheet of paper. Is it possible a little skin oil kept that side from holding?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I wouldn't think that would be enough to keep it from bonding. What is the bridge made of? If it's an oily wood, did you clean it first?

The luthier I took "lessons" from recommends using the lethal variety of paint stripper to clean wood before gluing. At minimum, it ought to be well wiped down with a good solvent.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Often this happens when the bridge is sitting on a ledge of finish. It prevents a wood to wood bond. If that is the case the bridge needs to be removed.
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

I'm not 100% sure at the moment what the bridge is made of, it's whatever is shipping with the Martin kits. I really need to get into the habit of cleaning everything first. I try my best to wear gloves after I do clean the wood, but sometimes get too excited and forget...like when being close to finished!!!

I used tru oil for the finish, and spent a lot of time cleaning up the footprint, so I don't think it's sitting on a ledge of finish. I will attempt to push some extra glue under the side using a feeler gauge, and re-clamp it for 24 hours. If that doesn't work, I'll study bridge removal (which I need to learn anyway). I'll keep you all posted, and hopefully soon, I'll get some pics up. It really is a beautiful guitar and sounds amazing!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the bridge is most likely richlight the amount of lift may not be a big deal Just keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it changes
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I would try watching it like John says, or wicking some glue in, clamp, restring and keep an eye on it. A substantial part of the load is borne by the bridge plate, isn't it? Richlite is what comes with kits from Martin. It looks good, glues good, and sounds good.
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Overall, a .1mm feeler gauge just went in about an inch or so from the side so I think the problem is worse than I thought. I saw a bridge removal tool on stewmac but they wanted $40 and I can easily make it in an hour or less for about $2, so I will do that!

I'm going to look at this from a positive perspective and figure I'm about to learn a lot about fixing guitars! Hopefully I don't need a neck reset on my HD-28. If so, might have to learn how to steam it off soon! lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.