Bridge lift fix?

What're You Doing?
Danl8

Re: Bridge lift fix?

Post by Danl8 »

Good pictures. That is a bit more unglued area than I was envisioning. If there was good glue squeeze out everywhere else, I would do a trial clamp on it and if it closed up cleanly, still glue and clamp before attempting a complete bridge removal.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Dry fitting the bridge is critical. It is especially important that the bridge wings touch the top with out clamps. It is difficult to force the wings down and expect them to stay. I do the same procedure for flat and radiused tops. I scrape a slight curve into the bottom of the bridge so that the wing ends fully touch and the center has a slight gap. Just a couple of thousandths gap. Not much. A clamp in the middle of the bridge will then firmly push the wings down to the top. If you ever have to get that neck off your D-28, no worries. It is very easy and people are just blown away watching you do it. Good luck.--Bob
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Bob's advice is spot on. The wood joints have to be perfect. Taking a bridge off is not that hard. Just take your time. If you rush and even if you don't lifting wood fibers off the top is very common.
I do them hot and cold depending on the wood and how familiar I am with the construction. Martins come off clean with a few light taps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYg8sEjxgpc
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Thank you all for the advice! I was able to get a feeler gauge under it with glue. Left it clamped for 48 hours and it's fixed! Honestly...I was kinda looking forward to learning some repair work though!