Binding Channel Nightmare

What're You Doing?
Benjy

Re: Binding Channel Nightmare

Post by Benjy »

Mike, post a picture and let the "Masters" here help you with some ideas to fix it.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

We all have had moments. We can set you up with a fix. Sounds like a design enhancement opportunity.

You can use herringbone with the binding that would be enough to hide the boo boo. Now that you know that thing gets loose tighten it up and take your time and lets add another strip. Even pearl. feel free to call me I am sure I can get you back up and running
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Oooh, good heads up. I have that gizmo. Gonna tape a note to use locktite on it if I ever try it. I haven't used it yet, instead use the bit set that John sells. Even there I can tell tales of woe about the trim router bits vibrating loose.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you for the input and information. We all like to have heads-up information, whether good or bad, on available tools. Sorry this happened to you. I had a similar experience with an binding jig, used with the compact router. As John said, the fix is to add an additional detail, like decorative purfling.

I'm sure it will work out great for you and in fact you could turn a lemon into lemonade; it could end up making your guitar looks really fantastic! Good luck.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
msloescher

Post by msloescher »

Take heart-- it is sickening, i know, because it happened to me (for a different reason). These guys on the forum will get you a fix, but i can tell you that nothing is unrecoverable in wood. In my case, it was a cedar top and i tried a fix by adding much wider abalone. It looked awful. I put it away for 6 months, and decided to just take the top off and chuck it. Glad i did; looks great now and plays wonderfully.
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars