Gluing with HHG

What're You Doing?
Bob Gleason

Gluing with HHG

Post by Bob Gleason »

Hot hide glue often does not require and clamping for non stress joints like repair patches. Is there any consensus as to clamping time for joints like braces or top and back center seam joining? I've just started to play with HHG after 40 years of using Titebond.---Bob
Danl8

Re: Gluing with HHG

Post by Danl8 »

I've always clamped hhg joints for a minimum of 12h. I don't have volumes of experience, but I have used it exclusively for lute making since 1979. I always let the joint cure for 24h before stress. You're right about non-stressed joints -- a little rubbing until it grabs and no clamping needed. For guitar bridges and braces I've been going 18h, easy to do since I'm not on a production schedule.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I can say that Martin only clamped tops for 45 minutes. I like to let mine set overnight. I agree less stressed joints won't need as much clamping but a brace in a radius dish would be stressed.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'd figure a minimum of 6-8 hours clamping on a stressed joint. Based on my limited experience with hide glue, there seems to be two phases to its setting up. The first is when it cools off. That happens pretty quickly, and it becomes sort of rubbery. The second is when it dries out, and that takes a while. 6-8 hours is probably optimistic. 12-24 would be better.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the longer the better for sure
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »