When to Dye Back/Sides/Neck?

What're You Doing?
glasalle1

Re: When to Dye Back/Sides/Neck?

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks Ed,

Did you do the lighter colored dye first, or Darker?

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

On the body I did brown first then a bit of red. The neck was darker to begin with so I did a little brown, a little red, and added some brown and the colors turned out pretty close.

Your sunburst looks great

Ed
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Started on the White Oak B&S of the Grand Concert Guitar. I first applied black dye, then sanded off, then put on some colors and improvised till I got the colors I wanted - used a combo of med brown, Brown Mahogany, and a couple drops of red.
IMG_5626.jpg
This only has 1 coat of sprayed shellac to lock in colors. I tried to apply with Alcohol this time, instead of water. working time was a bit shorter, but since I wasn't doing the sunburst, I didn't really notice a bog difference - but no grain raising which is nice. got dome dye on the surfings, and need to scrape. Luckily, I applied shellac to all the purflings prior to taping, so I am hoping they clean up easily.
IMG_5629.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

First Impressions of Aqua Coat for Pore Fill:

Aqua Coat seems to work pretty easily. Very little smell (Z-poxy bothered me), spread easy, sanded nicely, and for the 2 guitars - Cuban Mahogany and White Oak - seemed to fill nicely. After 3 applications (dries fast, so I did all 3 today), the cuban Hog is good to go. I will do 1 more on the cavernous pores of the White Oak. I applied with a soft cloth and just rubbed it in.

Once i have it done, and put a deal coat of shellac over it, I will send pics. I plan to use tru oil on the back and sides, and French Polish the tops.

Thanks,

Glenn
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Update. After 9 sessions with Tru Oil on Back and Sides (going to French Polish tops):
IMG_5662.jpg
IMG_5664.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glen

The oak instrument looks fantastic (other one too!) How many coats of tru-oil? did you sand or steel wool between coats?

Can I get some of your purfling material?

Ed
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

HI Ed,

Thanks! So far, 9 coats. I usually aim for 12-14 coats, then after the tru oil cures for a couple weeks I buff out with Micro-Mesh grade 3000 up to 12000. After 4 or 5 applications, I gently rub with 0000 wool to level.

I actually do have a bunch of the purfling material - I ordered it through Gurian, and exactly designed it using their design tool to look like my 1925 Joseph Neptune Grand Concert. I can ship you an instruments worth if you would like? I think I gave John a few instruments worth. I also got some nice marquetry inlays from here:

http://www.inlays.com/category-s/1938.htm

The purfling I have is in 3 pieces. 2 bl/wh dentile pieces, and then the middle rope (I always loved the green form my Joseph Nettuno.

Here are some close-ups:
Here is a close-up of my 1925 Joseph Netunno
DSCN1316.jpg
My Guitar:
IMG_5666.jpg
IMG_5667.jpg
Glenn
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

After some business travel in Europe, was able to finish the neck prep for dye as well. I should have done this at same time as body, but was too gung ho to get the bodies done :-). I kept my notes, so I should be able to match. I will do a subtle sunburst on back of the neck to match the back.

Finished shaping the neck - just need to sand to 220.
IMG_5934.jpg
Front with Mad RW Fingered and Headstock overlay.
IMG_5931.jpg
Mock-up of what the guitar will look like. only have a shellac coat on top to protect it. I will be French Polishing the top, Tru Oil on the neck (I love the feel of Tru Oil on necks as a player). Still need to trim the fingerboard to length (also still have tape on top for where fingerboard goes, so neck isn't centered on the body - just a quick mock-up)
IMG_5937.jpg
Glenn
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Dyed the necks. I think I got pretty close wrt colors, etc. Just a spray coat of shellac to lock in the colors. got blotchy in some places. Spraying the shellac is a sensitive thing, as too much, and it will bleed the dye before setting.
IMG_5938.jpg
IMG_5946.jpg
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Completed 3 French Polish sessions (each session is 3-5 applications), 2 leveling, and 2 spiriting off sessions per Robbie O'Brien's FP method. Essentially, top is done, just need to maybe do another sprit off if any residual oil is still on top. Pic gives an idea of the sunburst under finish.
IMG_6028.jpg
Thanks,
Glenn