Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
glasalle1

Re: When to Dye Back/Sides/Neck?

Post by glasalle1 »

Hi Ed,

Quick question. I dyed the back and sides of the nick Lucas, sprayed a few coats of sealer on it. I love the way it came out. I'll post some picks after I try the rubbed sunburst on the top. The question is, did you build up the seal coat a bit prior to pore filling? I am afraid I'll sand through to the wood. I was going to apply a number of coats of shellac to build up before I attempt to pore fill.

I also came to the conclusion masking the binding really wasn't worth the effort, as I had to scrape anyway. Spraying the dye was very tricky as some of the dye "melted" into bindings anyway.

On the white oak Stella, I dyed black, and need to sand off. I think I'll then just use a brown mahogany dye over that.

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glen

Oh-oh, I didn't keep records of the pore fill on the Nick. I had been using Timbermate but since it is water based, it would have been dissolved by the dye application. another possibility that I think is right is that I did not pore fill but relied on the KTM-9 finish.

I have thought of this for the ash I have, and I think I will use a darker color pore fill that is not water based before I dye.

Here is what I did for taping off the binding on a recent guitar - a black L-00 repair with white binding:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 344222304/

I taped off the rosette, and I taped off the binding at the side because it is very easy but not along the top because it is not. You can cut down the width of a roll of masking tape on the band saw to be the same size as the binding.

Sorry not be helpful on the pore fill

Ed
Glenn - check out my ukulele in the "blog" category
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I am using Aqua Coat for the pore fill. Says you can use over shellac, and shellac over it. So I figured I would seal the colors first, then pore fill over the shellac, then shellac over the pore fill. Hopefully it works :-).

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Glenn

Let us know about your results - I need a new pore filler and I would rather not go with an epoxy

Ed
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Took a few piccs, and did the hand rubbed sunburst on top. I was shooting for a worn brown burst like the late 20's. I didn't put any red in.

First up, the back with a few coats of shellac:
IMG_5593.jpg
Then top, from start:
IMG_5594.jpg
Amber:
IMG_5595.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Initial browns:
IMG_5597.jpg
Done, no shellac:
IMG_5600.jpg
Coat of shellac:
IMG_5602.jpg
I will put a few more coats shellac on, pull off tape, and scrape. For the top, I am going to french polish. The back and sides next step is to add a few more coats of shellac, then pore fill with Aqua Coat.

I really like how the top came out - wasn't looking for the perfect sunburst on modern guitars, wanted the look of a vintage hand rubbed sunburst.

Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

A lot more scraping, and need some touch-up work, but getting a better idea of how it will look.
IMG_5604.jpg
Glenn
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I had to hit the guitar with 400 grit today to level the seal coat. I found that the spray Zinger shellac i used initially to seal the colors in (thanks for the advice Ed - I probably would have tried to apply the shellac the "normal" way, and made a mess of the colors) doesn't go on nearly as thin as padding it on. After sanding (and thankfully did not go through the seal coat!), looks way better. I'll finish sealing and sanding the rest of guitar in prep for the pore fill.

Today, I'll sand back the Oscar Schmidt Grand Concert guitar - I had dyed the white oak black, and now will sand off, leaving the shaded black in the non fleck areas. I think I'll dye with Brown mahogany and see how that looks.

Happy Memorial Day!

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Glenn

I think you had a question or response on this link last year:

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... oodman+oak

I corresponded with Brad about his color and finish and this is what he said. I did not pursue the drywall compound pore fill, but have heard others have used it:

"As far as the color,I know one of the coats was Tobacco brown, one was perfect brown and I think one was red mahogany.At first I wasn't going to go that dark, but I am really glad I did.

I did my usual filling technique which is dyed joint compound-two applications. It is a real pain in the ass with all the purfling, but I tape it off."

Ed
Ed M