Getting New Shop in Order - Progress on my Stella Guitar

What're You Doing?
glasalle1

Getting New Shop in Order - Progress on my Stella Guitar

Post by glasalle1 »

Hi Folks,

Been in the Tampa area now in the house for a few months, and trying to get the shop in order. I have it to the point where at least I can get some work done! Still a lot to do with the shop. However, FINALLY had time to work on my guitars. It has been difficult having a few guitars in progress to sit for months.

To recap, this is my take on the old Grand Concert guitars coming from Oscar Schmidt and the 5 Italian Luthiers in NYC, going by the Galiano label (although, not all Galiano's are made by them).

The higher end guitars had nice purling on both the top and the back. This created a challenge given how wide the purling is. Thankfully, John made me a bigger donut for my binding jig.

Here are the cuts for binding and purling channels.
IMG_5287.jpg
The purflings are 3 pieces, the green middle piece, and the 2 dental bl/wh pieces, plus the binding - a pain to get all aligned and ready. Here is the back
IMG_5293.jpg
A lot of scraping/sanding, but here is how it came out. Note the Back and sides are a nice QS White Oak. the figure will really pop after i dye darker and finish
IMG_5301.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasalle1

Re: Getting New Shop in Order - Progress on my Stella Guitar

Post by glasalle1 »

Here is a close-up of the creator sized pores, and the joint at the top. A lot more sanding to make it look smooth. A little off center, but I think will be fine as its for me :-)
IMG_5302.jpg
And finally, the top, Red spruce with "character". Bridge was just place for show - not attached. Its an ebony Mustachio bridge I made before I moved to Tampa.
IMG_5304.jpg
Thanks for looking!

Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glenn

Looks great - nice wood, nice bridge, nice purfling material, excellent workmanship.

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice
I like the mustache bridge
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks Guys,

The Mustachio bridge is something the Oscar Schmidt Company used on a lot of their guitars. I actually have a NOS Bridge form the 20's made by The Oscar Schmidt Company in Jersey City ,and used that as a basis for the bridge. I made the bottom a bit bigger and rounder as the original was not compensated. The High end guitars had the wide purfling on both the top and backs. Interestingly enough, the 2 guitars I own form the 20's, neither has a butt wedge. On my guitar I added a very simple green thin line where the sides meet (the green compliments the purfling.) I was going to do a butt wedge, but since the originals didn't have them, i just did the line.

John, The new donut worked great. I had to use the wide donut for the binding as well, given i routed the purfling first, and it was so wide, the original done didn't rest on the top. The new larger donut worked great.

Glenn