I too closed the box on number four

What're You Doing?
bjmsteve

I too closed the box on number four

Post by bjmsteve »

I am building my no. 4 -- a ziricote and spruce D/HD 28 From Bluescreek.
Any thoughts on finishing the ziricote?
Also any thoughts on the Long / Through
Saddle. John supplied one with the kit and it Looks pretty cool. However it does not seem Comparable with an undersaddle pickup which I was considering.
Thanks , Brian in Brisbane
I will post some pics later as I am
submitting this from a phone and cannot get the pics to attach to the post
tippie53

Re: I too closed the box on number four

Post by tippie53 »

On the through saddles, they can accept a USP ( under saddle pickup ) but I switched to the K&K pickups. I think they are much better . Here you use 3 pick ups under the bridge plate that are located under the saddle. They work and sound so much better than any of the USP I used . You can also get them with the pick up and a mic .
Check them out . I think you may be pleased. The other system that is similar is the I beam pick up. You have more options out there than you may know . Look around I am sure you will find something .
As for finishing . I am a lacquer guy but some of these water lacquers are pretty good and safer to use in area without spray booths . I do like to use a little stain to get the grain to pop . On this topic you will get many opinions . A lot wil depend on what you want the finished product to look like . You have Water borne , Nitro , Catalized Nitro , Catalized Varnish , French polish so choose wisely.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com