getting the body geometry right and mating the neck

What're You Doing?
Oldsoldier

Re: getting the body geometry right and mating the neck

Post by Oldsoldier »

I'm progressing through my first Martin Kit Build of a 000/14 Fret guitar. After screwing up my first neck trying to get the proper angle, alignment and elevation, I started over with a new neck and I'm a bit gun-shy at this point. I put in the new neck without the fingerboard and it was all but flush with the top of the guitar. (See attached photo with notes) With a straight edge along the neck and extended to the bridge location, the straight edge was more than 1/4 inch above the top, and the centerline alignment was perfect. After cautiously removing some wood on the upper cheeks of neck with a sanding block (haven't touched the tenon) the straight edge is 7/32" above the top at the bridge location. The neck alignment- centerline is still right on, and the elevation appears to be about 1/32" below the top. With the unfretted fingerboard in place, laying perfectly flat on the fingerboard, the end nearest the sound hole is about 1/16" above the top. When I press it down flat on the top, the end nearest the nut rises about 1/4" above the neck at the nut location. The fit of the neck heel against the body is not bad at this point without any fine dressing. It appears I need to remove more wood from the upper part of the cheeks to bring the neck up. How am I doing and any tips on how to proceed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

your doing good feel free to call me but take small nibbles .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

John, that's encouraging. I learned a lot in watching your videos several times (and my wife did too!).--Jerry
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It certainly sounds as though you are close. Although there seems to be a school of thought that the fingerboard should sit flat on the top, the luthier I'm learning from maintains that the geometry caused the top radius requires a thin wedge under the fingerboard extension tapering from maybe 1/16" at the heel to zero at the end of the fingerboard next to the sound hole.

I gather from this difference of opinion that there is no one "right" way to fit a neck. Do whatever your particular guitar requires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

Thanks for your comments and the drawing, Mainegeezer. Hopefully, as I continue to sand down the upper part of the cheeks the fingerboard extension will fit flat on the top. I'll post an update on my success (or lack thereof).--Jerry