Hammering frets

What're You Doing?
Woody OKeefe

Hammering frets

Post by Woody OKeefe »

I just finished hammering the frets on my second fretboard. Fortunately I watched John Hall's tutorial on you tube and eliminated the problems I had on the first. Thanks John. It went so smooth, I thought I was doing something wrong! Plus I saved $162.00 Because I didn't buy the fret press.

Thanks again John.
mjmeehan

Re: Hammering frets

Post by mjmeehan »

Great to hear! Personally I like hammering frets, one of the most straight forward parts of a build.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Yep - our Arbor press and brass cauls just sit in the corner and gatherring dust --- Hammering is very quick once one gets the feel. I use a large hammer now. I cover the head with several layers of heavy adhesive back metal foil tape used for furnace installions. That provides a padded surface which is easily replaced --- those tiny nylon headed hammers are not for me -- I want something that can wack those babies in with ease!
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Since I started using a fretting caul in a drill press I've had to do very little leveling and dressing afterwards, certainly not nearly as much as I did when I hammered them in. Probably the only guitar I would consider hammering anymore would be a Spanish heel, I don't see how you could support the fretboard extension. Otherwise its press, baby, press.

Obviously milage varies.....
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

If you fret the board before gluing it to the neck you don't need to support the extension.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Ditto --- Tony

But, actually Bob Taylor has an invention, I think still sold by LMII called a "Fret Buck" mainly for repairmen -- its supports the FB extension area.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Gee getting hammered ? I never did that , LOL
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I use my drill press as the arbor, and a brass caul.
Mainly because: I don't have fretboards all over the place to practice on. A slip of the hammer and I'd be whining to Ken Cierp to overnight a fretboard.
A number of things the pros can do are because they have done it a LOT. For us kit builders, what's the hurry? I can press in all the frets in 15 minutes or so with little chance that I will screw it up. And the touching-up is easier, too.

I don't like to learn things on the guitar I am currently working on. I want the skill developed before that. The fret pressing does not take the skill, very little learning curve.

Whatever works for you!!
DaveB
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I have to admit, I personally prefer the fret press over hammering when I have the choice. It's just a bit easier to do clean consistant fretting for me. Generally only have to level for maybe 1-2 mins when I use a press, and 50% of the time don't need to use my crowning file at all.

Harbor freight has arbor presses for pretty cheap, like 20 or 30 bucks or something like that, and then you just get the attachment with cauls from stewmac and it saves a bit of coin.

-Dan
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

You can use a drill press too, right? Like even a table top drill press, with the attachment?