Side Dot Markers

What're You Doing?
Darryl Young

Side Dot Markers

Post by Darryl Young »

Now this is a really important question that really impacts the build <smile>

When you position the side dot markers on the edge of the fretboard, the 12th fret marker typically has 2 dots. Just curious how you space them. The factory guitars I have seem to divide the distance between the 11th and 12th frets by 4.......the place one dot at the 1/4 mark and another at the 3/4 mark. Do some some folks divide this distance by 1/3 and place the dots at the 1/3 mark and the second at the 2/3 mark? This would place the dots closer together but I've no idea if that would look better/worse.

Do most of you drill the hoes for the dots by hand? Seems even if you angled the drill slightly, it wouldn't be noticed since the dots are sanded off level with the surface. I guess a severe angle would make the dots appear oval shaped. Seems difficlut to setup to drill these holes on the drill press after the fretboard is glued onto the neck.
Slacker......
JJDonohue

Re: Side Dot Markers

Post by JJDonohue »

I pencil in a center line and eyeball the dots on either side depending on what looks best. No problem doing these in a drill press whether the FB is glued to the neck or not. I just clamp the neck to a 4x4, level it and remember next time to do the dots before gluing the FB.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I center and eyeball the positions but use a pin vise and appropriate sized bit and hand drill. It goes quickly and I find I'm more accurate.

Tim B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Over the years as a manufacturing manager I have come to believe that “eyeballing” is a synonym for “get ready to do some repairs” In my view taking time to fixturize generally is a value add in the quality column. Here’s our device, its used on a drillpress. After each session the guide holes are resurfaced with CA:

Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Good suggestions. Thanks JJ and Ken!
Slacker......