Steel wool - not all created equal?

What're You Doing?
deadedith

Steel wool - not all created equal?

Post by deadedith »

The following cut and paste is from the LeeValley Tools website, describing their brand of steel wool; I was doing a little research after I detected a light film following the use of Ace Hardware brand steel wool. Has anyone else experienced that light film, and has anyone tried the LeeValley product?
DaveB

"Two features make this type of steel wool a particularly valuable product for woodworking.
First, it is completely free from oil, so it will not mark wood, react to any type of finish, or leave a film on any surface.

Second, it is manufactured in very long strands from top-grade steel and is highly resistant to crumbling. For example, you can use this steel wool for work on the lathe without it pulling apart in your hands.

It leaves less residue and is longer lasting than ordinary steel wool. It comes in continuous 250 gram (8.8 oz) packages that can be cut to length as required.

The extra-fine grade is equivalent to #000/0000, the fine to #00, and the medium to #1."

Also alluded to in Rockler's website: Re: Formby's steel wool
Tough enough for refinishing jobs, yet gentle enough to prevent damage to antiques and fine furniture, these pads come in handy all over the shop. Plus, with their low oil content, you can avoid the oily film that ordinary steel wool leaves behind.
Tarhead

Re: Steel wool - not all created equal?

Post by Tarhead »

I've switched over to the nonwoven grey and white 3M type pads for 99% of my former steel wool needs. Liberon is the brand of steel wool I use if I have to. Water based finishes and stray steel particles create a mess under the finish when the steel rusts so do a really thorough job of cleanup.