Free cherry

What're You Doing?
enalnitram

Free cherry

Post by enalnitram »

I know I've mentioned it before but my father in law had a couple of large cherry trees blow down on his property about 20 years ago. he had the trees milled into boards that were 1 and 2 inches thick. The width of each piece wound up being whatever the trees would yield: usually around 7 inches wide. This wood has sat out in his pole barn all this time.

With my friend Mark Swanson's help, I finally got one of those (flatsawn) boards cut into a guitar set. More (much more) to come. Maybe not the best wood ever, but seems fine to me, for an amateur to gain experience with.

JJDonohue

Re: Free cherry

Post by JJDonohue »

I love cherry and have built one nice guitar and one nice neck. Unfortunately I've had bad experience with necks with pitch pockets and side sets that are too flatsawn and become unstable. I know it's hard to do but sometimes its better to pass on wood that will likely present problems either during construction or sometime down the road. It takes just as much time to make an excellent guitar from stable wood as it does to make a questionable guitar from unstable wood. I'd recommend taking a pass and wait for quartersawn or less flatsawn boards.

Also, please give my regards to Mark. He's a good man and you're sure to learn a lot from him.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Martin,
That is pretty wood. I have looked at Cherry with much fondess........I think it would be great for a classical.
I don't know about the flatsawn-ness, but with bracing, I'll be it will be just fine. Did you say FREE....like as in, you are giving some away for free????? :>), well, one can hope, right!!
I say built it, it will be right smart looking!

My wifes uncle cut down some large Pistachio trees many years ago, cutting slabs about 8 ft. long and 10" wide. He cut some up last year for me for guitars, but alas, the worms had been feasting on it. There may be some usable, but it will take alot of cutting and sorting, however, it will also be free!

Kevin
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

thanks guys.

i'm not offering the cherry for free, but it was free to me!

good advice, thanks.

i'll definitely proceed with caution. if the wood seems stiff enough, i'll try using it. what i plan to do is build some original prototype designs with it. i'd like to build a kasha braced guitar with an asymmetric body and a soundhole on the side.

on the one hand, with the time we spend on these things, compromising on materials seems like a bad idea, but on the other hand, using primo wood when the outcome seems uncertain in the first place might be bad, also.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I'm guessing the back will be ok. Not sure about the flatsawn wood being bent for the sides.
Slacker......