12 fret slope Dreadnought

What're You Doing?
Woody OKeefe

12 fret slope Dreadnought

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Hi All,
On a couple of other forums, there is a thread about 12 fret versus 14 fret guitars. I’m not really interested in the tonal difference, but my third project will be a 12 fret slope dreadnought, so I’m interested in building differences. I’ve built two 14 fret slope dreads with a Martin 24.9 scale. I’ve read that most 12 fret guitars have a wider neck and a longer body. I am using a Gibson mold from John Hall so I don’t see how I can make the body longer. I don’t particularly like wide necks and I want to keep the same scale. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
kencierp

Re: 12 fret slope Dreadnought

Post by kencierp »

Hi Woody,

So happens I am working with Preston Thompson developing molds and stencils to copy an old Martin DO 12th fret he has access to and plans to replicate and market in his product line. The pattern he sent me is 15/16" longer then a standard/modern D --- the center of the X intersection is 1 1/4" from the sound hole (which is 4" in Dia.) The body is slightly wider at the lower bout. The scale is 25.34". Won't be long an I'll be offering these in kit form.
Last edited by kencierp on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Woody...you can make the neck width however you want. As far as the body differences, a 12 fretter is usually longer than its 14 fret cousin. The bridge position is lower on the lower bout from a 14 fretter, assuming same scale length. I've built several 12 fret SS dreds and love the way they play and sound. Do you already have a slope shouldered dred mold or just a 14 fretter mold? The shapes are different by definition...otherwise it wouldn't be called a slope-shouldered dred.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Ken Cierp - when you do offer the kit I hope you can offer a cutaway model as well. I love the sound of the 12 fretters but do like a little more access to the 14th fret. That would be a cool kit!
Dave B
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

we have the Martin 12 fret kit . the scale length is the same 25.4 . The options are now you can get pan head or slot along with the dovetail or mortise and tenon. Nut width is often 1 3/4 but we can accommodate what ever you may require.
Templates for this are available at Waldron guitars and I am sure Ken may produce them.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Thanks for your input everyone.
Since the FB at the nut is 1 ¾” according to John I’m ok there. I’m using a Gibson Jumbo mold from John Hall, 20” long and 16 ¼” at the lower bout. On the latest project I have a Gibson J45 bracing pattern from Ken Ceirp. So two questions, do I have to buy another mold? And, can I keep using the 24.9 scale?
gibson mold 2.jpg
gibson mold.jpg
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

martin used a 25.4 scale but you can use what you want . I have seen dreds with the short scale. The gibson body was not changed when gibson made a 12 fret , they just swapped out the neck. Martin on the other hand did change the body shape. The only thing you really need to be concerned is the scale length and that relationship to the bracing position
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

John, you’re talking about the bridge being located further down the body so the bridge plate and X brace have to be moved accordingly, right?
Ken thanks for the link the old Gibson info is great.
Thanks again. When I get closer to starting this project I’m sure I’ll call on both of you for your expertise.