Saga Electric Kit from Blues Creek Guitars

What're You Doing?
Ken C

Re: Saga Electric Kit from Blues Creek Guitars

Post by Ken C »

Bob, Setting up an electric is a piece of cake compared to an acoustic. You can move each saddle forward or back and up and down. Just work on one string at a time, checking your tuning at the nut and again at the 12th fret, move you saddle forward or backward as needed. You can also raise each saddle, so you can dial in the action just the way you like it. For an electric, I don't like the bass strings lower than the treble strings, so I usually set my E and A about the same height and then progressively lower the other strings down to the E. Try to first get your neck relief the way you want it, get the saddles close, dial in your nut, then go back and fine tune the saddles, and you will be rockin' and rollin'. Oh, I also don't like to set up the tremolo so it in rocks both directions, I find it a bugger keeping the guitar in tune, so I drop the bridge all the way to the body and use the tremolo in just one direction.

Ken
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

This will make a great one I am sure. Glad you got yourself straightened out. Keep us posted
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Sorry I'm late on this on Bob, I just got out of the hospital again..but if you want a low cost high quality choice on pickups in the future, take a look at Toneriders.
I've built two using these, one a Tele and the other a Strat. They have a Vintage Plus that really matches today's music and pure vintage choices as well at a great price.
Also available are Humbucker choices for LP styles.
Here's a link to an honest, knowledgable, and all round nice guy who will help you choose, supply, and help install anything you may wish to try...there are also many sould clips to help sort it all out...visit the site, give Ralph a call. Tell 'em I sent you, you won't be sorry.
http://rhfactorguitars.com/

PS Looks GREAT!!

Ray
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Wow, Ray, I'm sorry to hear that. I knew something was up. Man, I hope they fixed things well for you. Get better.
I made a favorite of that guy's site and will visit when I do a LP kit (if).
Mine is pretty much done, I'm going to shine up the neck and put it back on and then learn all about setup on electrics. The mock-up I did had the strings out like phone poles.
Bob
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished my LP build and gave it to my daughter. THe EMG 81/85 pickups both scream. The bridge EMG 81 pickup treble strings have real cutting rich tones they sustain forever even without distorsion.

Clear said she loved how the power cords sounded on the EMG 85 neck pick up. Overall she was really happy with the sound. She likes the sound better than the strat that she has been playing with stock pickups. It is a bit heavy for her, but she knew that when she asked for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Great job, John, I bet she's lovin' it.
You also need to put that in the "show it off" section.!!
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

naccoachbob wrote:Wow, Ray, I'm sorry to hear that. I knew something was up. Man, I hope they fixed things well for you. Get better.
I made a favorite of that guy's site and will visit when I do a LP kit (if).
Mine is pretty much done, I'm going to shine up the neck and put it back on and then learn all about setup on electrics. The mock-up I did had the strings out like phone poles.
Bob
Bob,
Intonation is fairly simple as explained above, if the string height is not do-able with the bridge, you MAY have to "Shim" the neck (Usually at the back of the pocket more than the front) to get the right angle, but it depends.
It depends on the overall angle presented. Don't be alarmed by the idea, Fender was famous for shimming many of their necks, in fact...it was a rare one was not shimmed. Especially Strats.
I have found everything from pieces matchbook covers, to business cards under their necks, (Two of the most often used items from the factory). Usually 1/3 of a matchbook cover in the back will do it...it doesn't take much...if you have a problem with this let me know and I'll PM you with some more complete instructions. Stick with ultra fine, well made Smooth wood shims or paper to avoid compromising the contact surface which is directly related to tone. Paper like match-book/business card shims sound cheap and unprofessional, but they work quite well. And sound better than the best made maple shim. (As an example..I know for a fact that CLAPTON'S "BLACKIE" USED A MATCHBOOK SHIM!)

Here's a calculator that may help you..
http://www.tundraman.com/Guitars/NeckAngle/Index.cfm

Ray
Last edited by rgogo65 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Great job John, I love the burst. :)

Ray
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Thanks much, Ray, I'll try it.
Bob
tippie53